The Tatler

The Student News Site of Celina High School

The Tatler

The Tatler

Nerd Clusters
Nerd Clusters
May 7, 2024
Poll

This poll has ended.

What is your favorite subject in school?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Microscopic Vampires

Microscopic+Vampires

Everyday, cats tend to be one of the more lazy animals that sleep through most of the day. They are either very clingy or hate every human on the planet, there is no inbetween. Sadly, sometimes it’s difficult to notice if an animal is tired or has a deadly disease.

Recently, studies have shown that flea anemia is a very big issue within cats to the point where they go to desperate measures. There have been some cases where dogs’ blood has been used to transfer to other animals like cats. At first, scientists were skeptical of this transfusion but would rather try than not try at all.

Mar Vista, an animal medical center, has a page regarding the immense importance of flea anemia. It states that most animal owners regard the importance of fleas or do not fully understand the extent of its dangers. 

Aaron Bowsher, teacher at Celina High School, revealed that “I had no idea this was even a thing, it’s pretty shocking,” when questioned on the topic of flea anemia.

Later, he revealed that he had previously owned a cat and was slightly aware of the harmfulness of fleas, but had no idea it could become this bad. 

Even previous or current owners of cats have no idea when to treat their animals, until it becomes too late.

Some signs of this disease include pale gums, coldness, flea dirt, and lethargicness. Although, some of these signs can be dismissed until the fleas rapidly produce to a point of visibility. 

Another teacher at Celina High School, Krystal Gates, stated that she “had no idea this was such a big problem. I haven’t even heard about this until a couple days ago.”

Although it’s disturbing for others around the world to not know or be educated on this subject, it would be valuable if mentioned from time to time.

Naturally, whenever someone sees a cute kitten or cat walking along the sidewalk, they automatically rush to pet them. Fleas can live on both humans and animals, they are very adaptable but stubbornly hard to get rid of. 

Being careful or taking extra precautions like visiting the local pet center to check your animal for fleas will be extremely helpful to both you and your pet. 

If someone’s animal has fleas, advise them to take their animal into the pet center immediately due to the fact that flea anemia can be fatal. 

Although no animal illness should go excused, flea anemia is an urgent care situation. Flea anemia isn’t as well known as other diseases.

When Jenna Snell, a cat foster for a local cat group specializing in T.N.R., was questioned on the subject, she commented “Yes I’ve cared for kittens with flea anemia before.  It takes a lot of dedication and patience to bring them back to a healthy status.” 

Along with her experience in cat care, when asked about her opinion on the situation, she commented “I believe this story is awesome and I’m glad science has taken us to a place where this is possible!! I hope it can continue to happen and save animals in need for years to come.”

Her comments just show how wonderful and life saving the actions of the vets were. Snell’s experience will definitely help her and others be more aware of the life threatening illness. 

Although the Mar Vista had a lot of information, the Merek Manual had more information regarding the blood transfusion process itself. It states that a major crossover should be done before any transfusion. 

On the topic of the crossover, one should be done before any transfusion to a dog that has previously had a transfusion. Cats must have a crossover before any transfusion. 

Alicia Ball is also a teacher at Celina High School, when questioned about the topic, Ball commented “I’m really glad that the kitten and dog made it out okay, I’m also super glad that the dog was even able to do the transfusion for this kitten.”

Luckily, the vets were quick thinking on their feet, Ball also excitedly commented “The vets deserve a lot of credit and thanks for thinking the way and as fast as they did, I’m thankful it all worked out in the end, and everyone walked away okay, happy, and healthy”

The situation is perfect to interest people and raise awareness of the deadly disease of flea anemia, and hopefully help catch cases. Thankfully for the kitten, the vets were able to save it, with the help of the well known hero husky, and quickly thinking vets.

Flea anemia in animals is a massive concern, and should not be overlooked. Given the severity of the situation, it is definitely reassuring that blood transfusions offer a solution, and can provide life-saving treatment for the animals involved.