The Tatler

The Student News Site of Celina High School

The Tatler

The Tatler

Nerd Clusters
Nerd Clusters
May 7, 2024
Poll

This poll has ended.

What is your favorite subject in school?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

How Matthew Perry Affected the World

Mathew Perry, he was beloved and made billions laugh. The actor, famously known as the character Chandler Bing in friends, died October 28th in his LA home. Many people have been affected and he has impacted many with the films he has been in. 

Luke Spencer is a 17 year old high school student at Celina High School. His weekend got impacted after he heard that Perry died. ¨ He made me laugh and was in many TV shows and movies I loved ¨ Spencer states after we asked; How has Mathew Perry affected you when he was alive?. He loved Perry and could really relate to him in some points of his life,  ¨I could relate to him because he was the funny friend. People would say that ¨ I am the Chandler Bing in real life¨, and he would always come up with quick jokes that made me laugh ¨. He watches a lot of movies and TV shows on his down side and a few of Perrys are his favorite, ¨ Friends and The Whole 9 yards is really funny. I watch them when I’m upset and they make my day ¨. The death is sad and hit Spencer hard, ¨ It made me very upset because I know that when I watch TV shows and movies that he’s no longer here with us but his spirit is.¨ 

Jenine Bertke, a teacher that works at Celina high school has some feelings about the tragic death as well. ¨ He was my age and one of my daughters is a ¨Friend¨ fanatic. So it’s really upsetting that he can’t make anyone laugh in any more upcoming movies.¨ The movies and shows he was in were very funny and it’s hard to just pick one favorite but, ¨ Fools rush in has to be my all time favorite of his  because it was very funny.¨ Many people can relate to many characters of Perry’s ¨ I can’t really relate to any character of his but I bet a lot of people do because he was just a joy to watch.¨ Next, we asked how the death affected her and she said this ¨ It was very sad. He was my age so it really took a stabbing to the heart a little bit. A couple years ago I saw the Friends experience in Chicago and I just know it’s never going to be the same again.¨ His death touched her because of her age and how anything could really happen to anyone at any time. She added ¨ He was really a mentor for people trying to be sober and recover on the hard jerry and it’s just going to be a difficult death to recover for the people he helped.¨ 

We asked Alicia Ball how the death impacted her and she took deep sorrow into the questions, ¨ I was very upset [ she cried ]…¨. She is a new ¨Friends¨ fan, ¨ I only started watching the ¨Friends¨ series a couple years ago but the character of Chandler Bing had a really big impact on me¨. Her love for Perry all started because of friends. His sarcastic attitude while acting as the character made her connect really well with him and made watching the show all worth it. .

Emri Dixion, a highschool student at Celina high school answered some questions as well. She loved ¨ Friends ¨ maybe not so much the character of Perry but she loved him dearly ¨ I love ¨ Friends ¨ and Perry made it so funny.¨  The show Friends is a hit with everyone, Dixon is a freshman student and is a die hard friends fan , ¨ It’s really funny and I love every single character.¨ As well as loving the show and characters, the death of Perry hurt, ¨ I was really upset when I heard of his passing, I was hoping for a remake of ¨Friends¨ again. 

His co-workers from friends hit hard with the death as they were all great friends  “In a joint statement, Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Matt LeBlanc, David Schwimmer and Lisa Kudrow said it was an “unfathomable loss”. Says BBC News. Throughout the article other famous people speak out about how devastated they were about his death. They all say how much he impacted their lives. The article also talks about how Perry suffered from alcohol and pain addiction. After becoming sober, Perry’s personal mission was to help others who are or went through any type of addiction. He didn’t want anyone else to go through what he did all alone. They were not the only ones who had major reactions to his death.

The New York Post states, “ “It’s extremely sad when you think about how young [he was] and a pity he couldn’t get more control. I can’t imagine the pressure those guys lived under being a worldwide phenomenon. It must have been overwhelming.” The article talks about how one of the actors from the tv show ‘Friends’, Kathleen Turner, played his dad in the show. She goes and talks about their relationship on and off screen, and how he would go see her shows and come back stage and talk to her like they were mother and son. She also says that he was very young, and that he was gone too soon. 

In conclusion Matthew Perry has affected more lives than anyone could count. He was not only a famous actor, but an inspirational person. His main goal was to help people, and make them laugh. We not only lost a great person, but a ¨Friend¨, he will be greatly missed.